Welcome to Agriculture Department
The Agriculture Department in Mizoram functioned as a full fledged directorate since the inception of UT in 1972. At present the department has eight agriculture districts, 13 agriculture sub division, 57 no's of agriculture circle,472 No's of Officer and Staffs and including the Muster roll (Approved M/R - 88 Nos. CSS, Project M/R - 208 Nos. Total-296 Nos.) under different projects there are 768 Nos. of workers across the state.
Agriculture Minister : R. LALZIRLIANA
Parliamentary Secretary : Lt. Col. ZS ZUALA
Secretary Agriculture : LALHMINGTHANGA
Director of Agriculture : J. LALZAMLIANA, B.Sc (Agri.)
The basic role, activities, function and responsibilities of the department are.
1. Formulation and implementation of policies and programmes aimed at achieving rapid agricultural growth through
optimum utilization of land, water, soil and plant resources of the state.
2. Establishing farmer-department coordination in implementing and providing technological know-how to the
farming community through agricultural extension services.
3. Undertaking all possible measures to ensure timely and adequate supply of quality inputs and services such as fertilizers, seeds,
pesticides, agricultural implements, etc.
4. Motivating farmers to minimize the use of pesticides and to control the environmental population with the adoption of Integrated
5. Motivating farmers to diversify from traditional crops to commercial crops.
6. Monitoring soil health and testing of nutrient level of soil samples collected from farmers’ fields across the state.
7. Educating farmers on soil and water conservation technologies through implementation of Watershed Projects.
8. Undertaking measures to provide agricultural credit, crop insurance and help the farmers in getting remunerative returns for
9. Conducting surveys for collection and maintenance of a wide range of statistical and economic data relating to
agriculture, required for development planning.
10. Removal of rural poverty, Improvement of nutritional standards and quality of life of the rural people