DISTRICT AGRICULTURE PLAN(C-DAP)- SAIHA
Saiha Town is the third capital district of the state. It is located at the south-eastern part of Mizoram. It is bounded to the North and West by Lawngtlai district, and on the south and east by Myanmar. The total geographical rea is 1965.82 sq.km which accounts for more than 6.64% of the total geographical area of the state.
Saiha district has varying climatic conditions. As a whole, it enjoys a moderate climate owing to its tropical locations. It is neither very hot nor too cold throughout the year and falls under the direct influence of the south west monsoon. Thus, the area receives an adequate rainfall with short winter and long summer.
The average rainfall for Saiha district is 260 mm per annum and the highest rainfall during a particular month was 1032 mm recorded in July, 2002. The major land use/land cover area within the district can be broadly categorized into built-up land, agricultural land, forest, bamboo forest, forest plantations, shifting cultivation, scrubland and river/water body.
Major Areas of Focus of the plan
(a) Strengthening of Market Infrastructure and marketing development;
(b) Integrated development of major food crops like paddy, coarse cereals, minor millets, pulses, oilseeds;
(c) Activities related to enhancement of soil health;
(d) Introduction of Modern Methods of Cultivation and Agriculture mechanization;
(e) Initiatives for use of Integrated Pest Management schemes;
(f) Development of rainfed farming systems in and outside watershed areas, as also Integrated development of watershed areas, wastelands, river valleys;
(g) Strengthening of Infrastructure to promote Extension Services;
(h) Activities relating to enhancement of horticultural production and popularization of micro irrigation systems;
(i) Animal husbandry and fisheries development activities;
(j) Study tours of farmers;
(k) Organic and bio-fertilizers;
(l) Possible Innovative schemes to encourage all sectors development.
Collection of Data
The preparation of district level plan involved basically collection of base line and bench mark details. So a template is developed to collect these particulars from the district. In order to dovetail the ongoing schemes, with the action plans, the current ongoing agriculture programs were listed with their physical and financial performance and finally converged as the plan under National Agriculture Development Programme.
Strategies to Achieve the Objectives of DAP for Saiha District
● Conservation, development and sustainable management of water resources.
● Soil health improvement
●Popularizing resource conserving technologies.
● Encourages multiple land use by increasing cropping intensity and intercropping.
● Integration of crop husbandry with vegetable and horticultural crops, animal husbandry, mushroom cultivation and other non crop based farming.
● Bridging yield gaps of crops, animals and other enterprises.
● Human resources development of rural youths, farm women, other disadvantaged groups and filed staff.
● Paradigm shift from production oriented farming to market oriented agriculture with the promotion of Agro processing industries.
● Development of suitable technologies such as varietal improvement, input management supported by a strong institutional arrangements for the supply of inputs like seed, fertilizers, plant protection chemicals, credit, etc, price support system favorable to farmers and market infrastructure for major crops like paddy, maize, sugarcane, banana, vegetables, and fodder crops.
● Encouraging maize as an alternate crop for paddy
●Development of minor irrigation
● Strengthening water harvesting structures like farm ponds and check dams.
● Reclamation of fallow and degraded lands. Training and exposure visit to the farmers, traders, and other stakeholders on grading, post harvest technologies, value addition and market intelligence.
● Strengthening the extension machinery for effective dissemination of technology.
● Strengthening of rural markets with storage facilities.
● Strengthening of farmers market with additional storage facilities.
● Establishment of cattle feed units.
● Inland fisheries development in major tanks and reservoirs and
● Development of sericulture.
Click here to download Saiha District Plan